Abyss of Fatigue V2

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Shifted - Citadel Inn >>> BSA Tower


How's the working like here in a foreign land? Not too bad I guess, not fantastic either.

What's great?
I'm working at the top floor of the tallest building in The Philippines, or that's what most people here tells me.
What sucks?
The view is not fantastic as this building is only 53 floors high and your are over looking mostly at poor villages. The lift here sucks big time too. I've always been impressed with KLCC's lift. With so many people working in the towers, there's always sufficient lift, rarely we have to wait for the second one to come as the current one is full even during peak hours. Here, its terrible, my colleagues waited 45mins just to get a lift down for lunch. And to the HSBC guys who rented a few floor around 40th floor, can't you all walk 1 floor of stairs rather than making the lift stop almost at every floor!!!!

What's great?
The money is kind of good.
What sucks?
Yeah, I may be making USD40/day extra from business trips, but competitors are giving USD80-USD100/day. One thing though, their business trips are scarce as the local staff are well trained and less dependent.

What's great?
Get to visit another country.
What sucks?
I partly agree to my colleagues where working in Huawei = no life. The ratio should be
WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK play.
Yesterday (saturday) and today (sunday), I'm in the office on half of the day. Came here partly for the internet and to send some urgent things out. FYI, China's National Day is on 1st Oct and Huawei HQ is going on a 1 week's leave.
I miss home too.

Enough of the complaining.......... lets talk about their food again. The Filipinos must have rice or spaghetti in their meals everyday. Imagine you walk in to KFC and you can't find your favorite 2 piece chicken. Why? All chicken comes with rice or spaghetti. Most of the FF have mushroom sauce to go with the rice.

Every where you go is rice or spaghetti, rice or spaghetti, rice or spaghetti?

So far the Filipinos (competitor/operator) I've met are happy go lucky types, may be the one that work in telco industry are cool people :P

The basic salary for a fresh grad electrical engineer here is around RM1000 and the basic salary for Indon is around RM1200. My colleague is handling the recruitment, one applicant is only asking for RM1500 after 6 years of experience.

I'll be back around mid/late Nov, highly likely it'll extended.
2 things to look forward to:-
O'WEJ (nickname) - my sec. school buddy is coming over for a business trip (wafer fabrication commissioning company), too bad it's only for 1 week.
Applied a short leave for a holiday to Macau and HK, will fly back to MY (to be bear by company) and off to HOLIDAY~~~

To Shin Yih and Ah Mak, not sure whether I can make it for both of your..........

Up till the above part of the sentence, I noticed that some people may misunderstand, so now the correction,

To Shin Yih & fiance and Ah Mak & fiancee, not sure whether I can make it to both of your weddings, but rest assure that I will try to make it. Don't worry, if I can't make it to your weddings, I will pack some foreign currency as ang pow for you guys, too bad I have only Rupiah and Peso, lol

Sigh. Most probably they are not reading my blog, boo hoo.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sure I'm reading ur blog :)

     
  • At 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    enjoy ur well deserved hols!

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Blogger Dynamo Damo said...

    Hey Mak, I've just checked, Manila-KK by Cebu Air is only less than RM100
    May be will fly straight from here to KK.

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    well.. try to leave with all the 'sucks' and life will be great! hmm.. except for the all work and no play part. hate that =P

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hehe.. mind not in place.. 'live' not 'leave'.. hahaha

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home